The browser you are using is not supported. Please consider using a modern browser.
Many of our views about people who are disadvantaged are developed through media reports and distant observations. These perspectives can be skewed and not include the myriad of causes and effects.
Catholic Charities is pleased to offer AWARE, an interactive, hands-on educational experience that helps broaden people’s perspectives on those in need. AWARE exposes participants to realities that deepen their understanding and appreciation of the realities of life that affect those in need.
AWARE topics include exploring the challenges of people who are experiencing hunger and homelessness, people who are aging, families living in poverty, early childhood education, immigrants and individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
AWARE is ideal for:
- Parish groups, including parish staff, parish councils, adult education, social justice committees, youth and other interested groups
- Corporations seeking to learn about the community while fostering teamwork and community service
- Individuals who seek to further understand social issues and take action
- Leaders-in-training in the faith community
- School-aged youth and college students
Participants can choose from the following Catholic Charities programs to learn about the realities of:
People who are hungry and experiencing homelessness:
- Weinberg Housing and Resource Center
- Our Daily Bread Employment Center
- My Sister’s Place Women’s Center
People who are aging:
- Jenkins Senior Living Community
Early childhood education:
Individuals with intellectual disabilities:
State Legislative Advocacy:
Social Ministry Coordinator, Parish Social Ministry
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
Frequently Asked Questions
AWARE sessions are typically 2-3 hours long, depending on the program.
Each session must have 5-8 participants. Some program sites can handle larger programs. Please contact us to see if that is an option for your group.
Generally, AWARE is for people aged 18 or older. However, it can be adapted for participants under age 18 with adult chaperones.
Have your group review the programs that offer AWARE and call us with a list of your top three choices. The Office of Parish Social Ministry will coordinate with you and our programs to find the best time to hold a session.